Sealcoating is the most cost effective preservation tool, costing only PENNIES a square foot compared to the DOLLARS needed to repair or replace damaged asphalt.
What is Seal Coating?
Seal coating protects asphalt. It's that simple. Without it, your asphalt would eventually break down and would require at best to be re-surfaced or even worse to be completely removed and re-laid...at great expense.
A quality seal coat is an asphalt surface treatment that consists of a slurry type blend of an asphalt emulsion, coal tar, mineral filler and latex modifiers. Seal coating provides protection against water oxidation and ultra-violet damage. The process seals the asphalt surface and restores the original rich, black appearance of freshly laid asphalt.
Sealcoating slows water penetration and oxidation. Exposure to oxygen hardens asphalt binders and results in a brittle pavement surface that will soon crack. Once these cracks have formed, water, snow and ice is able to penetrate the sub-base, weakening it and reducing pavement strength. This weakening will lead to more cracks and eventually expand and become potholes. Sealcoating fills these natural surface voids reducing the asphalts exposure to water and oxygen, thus adding longevity to your pavements life.
Not all sealers are the same. There are both coal tar based and asphalt emulsion based sealers. Coal tar sealers are by nature, very hard and brittle, very black in color and very fuel and oil resistant. Asphalt emulsion sealers are soft and pliable, not quite as dark as that of a coal tar and much less resistant to fuel and oil deposits.
SealCo’s Premium Asphalt Sealer is a custom 70/30 blend of asphalt emulsion and coal tar, 70% coal tar. The increase in Coal Tar proportions provides for a much darker appearance, improved fuel/oil resistant properties, and increased longevity due to the high solids content. This custom mix design is further enhanced by the addition of fine aggregates and a latex additive, providing a very durable wear surface that is pliable enough to expand and contract in our high altitude, harsh climate. The result of this proprietary blend provides the most durable, longest lasting surface available.
“The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
Download PDF Brochure - How To Protect Your Asphalt Investment
Call now for a free pavement assessment and estimate. 877.9.SealCo (877.973.2526)
Crack Sealing - A Basic Preservation Tool
Some applications do not require the use of hot rubber and a highly modified asphalt emulsion can be used to fill and seal the asphalt cracks.
SealCo Incorporated provides crack sealing services to most municipalities and local governments in Western Colorado.
- Protects Against Water & U.V. Damage
Seal coating the asphalt surface will protect the surface from moisture penetration, petroleum spills, and ultra violet rays that oxidize the asphalt and make it brittle.
- Restores Original Rich, Black Look
Seal coating provides an attractive black surface that is ideal for painting lines and other markers.
On older pavements seal coating replaces fine particles lost from the asphalt surface due to oxidation. Seal coating leaves a smooth, clean surface ideal for sweeping, lowering cleaning costs.
- Most Cost Effective Preservation Tool
Seal coating costs only PENNIES a square foot compared to the DOLLARS needed to repair or replace damaged asphalt.
What to look for in a Professional, Quality SealCoat application:
● SealCoat – 70% coal tar and 30% asphalt emulsion, Latex modifier additive, Fine Aggregates.
● Crack Sealant - High quality, Hot applied rubberized crack sealant, in the appropriate flexibility range for your elevation / climate.
● Thorough cleaning of asphalt surface – all loose and foreign debris should be removed.
● Thorough cleaning of joints, sealing of asphalt to concrete joints with crack sealant.
● Pre-treatment of oil spots with spot primer.
● Spray application with a brushed perimeter to help minimize any over spray.
● Two coat application of sealer material in high traffic areas.
● Proper equipment: Crack Sealing - digitally calibrated equipment to ensure proper material temperatures. SealCoating - Full sweep agitation in tanks for proper mixing and aggregate suspension.
100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee